Fuel Efficient Vehicles
The green transportation industry in our four-county area (King, Kitsap, Pierce, Snohomish) focuses on two subsectors: Public Transportation and Fuel Efficient Vehicles.
The Public Transportation subsector develops products and systems with a low impact on the environment and are fuel efficient like: car sharing, vanpooling, buses, trains, streetcars, ferries and transit-oriented development.
The Fuel Efficient Vehicles subsector develops products that use renewable or alternative energy like: battery electricity, biofuel, hydrogen, compressed air, or hybrids that combine a renewable/alternative source (usually electricity) with gasoline.
Here are some examples of jobs in the Green Transportation subsectors:
- Bus Driver
- Streetcar operator
- Avionics technician
- Bus and truck mechanics and diesel – engine specialists
- Transit operator (bus, light rail) aircraft mechanics and service technicians
- Right of way – civil engineer
- Software developer
Fuel Efficient Vehicles Jobs:
- Automotive specialty technician
- First-line supervisors/managers of mechanics, installers, and repairers
- Car and truck mechanic (biodiesel, electric, hydrogen vehicles)
To learn about other jobs in the Green Transportation sector, go to: www.online.onetcenter.org, then go to the box "Find Occupations", then go to "Green Economy Sector" and using the drop-down arrow, select either "Manufacturing" or "Transportation" then "GO".
For a list of colleges in our area that offer green transportation programs, click here.